Author:   Sue Sellinger  
Posted: 10/8/07; 12:40:26 AM
Topic: Student Visa
Msg #: 12 (Erste Nachricht zum Thema)
Prev/Next: /
Reads: 12010

Austrian immigration law requires that foreign students have either a regular visa (Visum D) or a residence permit for which the first application must be submitted from the home country before coming to Austria.

Entry and residence regulations for nationals of non-EU/EEA countries*) staying for more than six months: Students from non-EU/EEA countries pursuing degree programme studies (ordentliches Studium) or university courses (Universitätslehrgänge) at the Universität für angewandte Kunst Wien (University of Applies Art Vienna) have to apply for a travel visa D+C for entry to Austria. The visa enables to participate at the entrance examination. After successfull passing the entrance examination the students have to return to their home country an apply for a residence permit for study purposes (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Studierender") at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general). The decision has to be awaited in one's home country. If the Austrian authority decides to grant the permit, the representative authority will inform the applicant and issue the visa D+C for entry to Austria. The residence permit has to be collected in Austria.

The regular visa (Visum D) is only sufficient for a study visit of up to six months.

Nationals of EU/EEA countries*) do not need a visa and they enjoy freedom of domicile (Niederlassungsfreiheit). If they are staying in Austria for longer than 3 months they have to register with the competent municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within the first 3 months of their stay and will receive a confirmation of registration.

Special regulations exist for recipients of scholarships. For more details, please contact the organization granting the scholarship.

*) EU/EEA countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden. Swiss nationals are treated the same due to an agreement.